Thursday, July 29

I keep telling myself that I'll be better about writing frequently, every time I post I do this.  But to no avail, as weeks pass between posts.  I think that part of it is that I don't have my commenting system back up yet, so I can't eagerly await your feedback.  I will work on that.  If you know how to fix it, please tell me: jess.elliott@gmail.com, it would be appreciated.  The directions on HaloScan aren't very helpful.
 
We played volleyball tonight, it was nice to play again.  But both Joey and I noticed that it wasn't our A game of the past, due mainly to the fact that we no longer play weekly.  I'm down to start playing again...
 
I'm off to Mexico again this week for more of what some call "slave labor", I call it helping someone out.  By this time next week a family will be moving into their new home, and I am ecstatic to be a part of that.  A lot of people ask me why I go, every year, now twice a year.  I spend a week of my summer, in the sun, sleeping on the hard ground, in a tent, not near trees or anything aesthetically pleasing, and all day long I spend sweating and working hard.  My answer is that these people need someone to do it, they need a lot of someones, and if I couldn't pass on a little of what has been given to me, and what I have worked for, I would only have one question.  How selfish am I? 
 
So maybe I am volunteering for slave labor, but it's important to me, and it's important to the people who we help.  I guess it's hard to explain, but the entire trip is worth it for one single moment, and that moment is there every time.  I usually have a little tighter of a bond with the family, because I speak Spanish, and can communicate with them.  On our last day there, we present the keys to them, and usually the leader on our site says a few words.  Without fail, every trip during that time, it doesn't matter what language we speak, the family looks deep into my eyes with more graciousness than you'll ever see at the Academy Awards.   It is a "thank you" that doesn't even need to be spoken, even though it is, repeatedly, it is a "thank you" that is felt.  And I go back just to feel that one more time.

No comments: