Sunday, September 19

I think that I have written more about how I don't write than any other topic. But it seems more relevant this time.

I am taking a class called Writing for Public Relations. It is a lab format, so in it we are given a writing assignment, write it, and turn it in. A very simple process I would and do say. But apparently, I am better than I thought I was at it. On Wednesday in this class, after the assigning of the assignment, my professor came over to me and told me that in the next few assignments she wants me to "really branch out, and have fun" with them. Her reasoning is that she thinks that I am a very talented writer, and can take the assignments further. Later I raised my hand because in one of the assignments that she had given back, because she had underlined "was established" and I was pretty sure that it wasn't the name of a book, so I was confused. She came over, and informed that it was passive voice, not really appropriate for the "fact sheet" that it was in. She then informed me that it wasn't a big deal, but because of my new found talent she has decided to grade me harder to help me(to help my writing, not my grade). And even later in the class, she came back to me and asked, "Do you read a lot?" I wasn't sure if she was referring to the textbook that I am supposed to be reading and am not, or if she wanted to know if in general I am literate and occasionally like to indulge myself in my reading abilities as to not squander them. But the point of her question was if I enjoy reading on the side, and because I do, and told her this, she listed off a few authors and books that she wanted me to skim, again in attempt to help my talent.

Now to the point of this whole story (which Guillermo pointed out to me yesterday)...

I don't write. I may be good at it, but I don't do it. So even if she grades the hell out of everything that I turn in and I read every word ever written by the suggested authors, it means nothing if I don't write for anything more than an assignment. I mean eventually I will have to write for my job, unless I for some god-awful reason decide to work for Red Robin for the rest of my life, so it will happen. But I am going to make a serious effort now. You all have this on record and can hold me to it, I expect that Guillermo will be the only one to, but still.

That's all for today, but I'll be back, for reals this time.

No comments: